The Brandenburg Gate is possibly the most immediately recognisable site in Berlin. It is located on the western edge of Pariserplatz at the end of Unter den Linden, just within the former East Berlin. During the Cold War, The Brandenburg Gate was seen as a symbol of division. Then In 1989 while the Berlin Wall was being torn down, the gate was damaged. It has now been fully restored and with the restoration, the gate has been been transformed into a symbol of the new united Germany.
The Brandenburg Gate gate is 26 meters high, and just over 65 meters wide. The design was inspired by the Acropolis in Athens and consists of a total of twelve Doric columns, six on each side creating a line of five portals. The gate is flanked by two buildings built in a similar style which act as gatehouses.
The bronze Quadriga of Victory that sits atop the gate was designed in 1793 by Johann Gottfried Schadow. It is driven by the goddess of peace, supporting the idea that the gate was built as a symbol of peace. In 1806, when Berlin was under French occupation, Napoleon ordered the Quadriga to be taken to Paris. After the defeat of Napolion, the quadriga was returned and the Quadriga was renamed Victoria after the Roman goddess of Victory to celebrate the triumph over the French. It was about this time that the square nearby was renamed Pariser Platz.
The first Brandenburg Gate was constructed in 1734 as part of a perimeter wall that was built around the city. The current Brandenburg Gate was designed by Carl Gotthard Langhans and completed in 1791 as part of the wall improvements. In 1793 the Quadriga, a triumphal statue featuring the winged goddess of peace driving a four-